David Brooks’ April 28 column listed seven issues where the Democrats appear to be on the wrong side:
- Progressive Democrats have overstimulated the economy, producing the worst inflation in many years.
- Law and order is not a racist issue. One of government’s main jobs is to provide security for the entire population.
- Politicizing education has backfired on progressive Democrats. While the Republicans have politicized education, too, so far the Republicans have broader support for their issues.
- Border security is a serious issue. People perceive that the Democratic party favors a policy on immigration that is too lenient.
- “People of color” is not a thing. Non-white people do not all favor the same policies; they differ like white people do.
- Deficits matter. Current deficits are huge. If interest rates go higher because of inflation, interest payments will eat up most of the federal budget.
- You cannot do a new New Deal. Just giving away money will not secure election. People have a lot of social concerns about which they may perceive the Republicans as having better solutions.